[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: Misc. :: Raised in the church? Page 1 of 1 [  ]

View previous topic :: View next topic 

Were you raised in the church?
yes
 88%  [ 8 ]
no
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

[+] Raised in the church?
Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:30 am
noir

Were you raised in the church? Explain....

[+] 
Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:19 am
noir

yeah, i was raised in the church. my dad's a preacher too. guess how i turned out....really, really, really, really, really bad.

while in college, some traumatic events brought me to the brink. i didn't start following Jesus until then. now i'm on the journey.

[+] 
Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:03 pm
Indie

I was raised in the church by my mom. My dad stays clear of the place (although he does attend mass via television). Most churches drive me absolutely crazy. I've worked and gone to school at both conservative and liberal Christian universities/seminaries and there are good and bad things on all sides. I mostly like Mosaic.

Noir, you know what they say about preacher's kids.

Joel 2:16
"Sanctify the congregation, assemble the aged; gather the children, even infants at the breast."

[+] Raised in the Catholic Church
Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:35 pm
toastchee

Ya, I was raised in the Catholic Church. I was an altar boy, even. It is my fervent belief that the Catholic faith is actually an IMPEDIMENT to a true relationship with Jesus Christ. Its emphasis on works, not faith, sorrows me.
AIM Address

[+] Yep i sure was!!
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:51 pm
asiipring

I am new here. Been pondering the thought for a while of coming and visting your church and i will be there this sunday 10/31/04. But onto the subject at hand.

I was raised Penticostal all my life. When i turned 18 i was told (actually i was told this from day one but...) that there was no other church except the COGOP. (i'll let ya figure that one out) I was told that all other religions were wrong especially the Baptist!! (i actually work for the baptist now) They were the ones who went and smoke and drank after church!! I was raised to believe that God was a god who constantly stood over me w/ an iron rod and made me feel guilt and shame for every sin i committed especially those like not paying your tithes and wearing jewlery.

I lived in fear!! I lived in trembling fear of the God i served and every year at church camp I would cry my heart out!! Not because of all the sin i had done in the past but because of all the slip ups and mistakes my friends had made over the past year!! I remember thinking to myself..they cant even go a year with out messing up, why cant they be more like me. Dont they know if they keep messing up and keep getting resaved that eventually God will get tired of them and turn them over to that thing called a reprobate mind!!

I was trained to walk a tight line. No movies at the theater, no out door sporting events no Fairs and not even the Big Top Circus. Why....Casue i would be congregating with the "WORLD". I remember as a child that when ever i heard the words "The World" mentioned in a sermon, we were talking about those sinners that i was suppose to stay away from at all cost!!

I even used this scare approach in my marriage. Not because i wnated to hurt my wife, but because that is how i saw the church treat the members and my father treat my mother!! Thank God i have learned what real love is in a marriage and how to love my wife and lift her up and not pul her down.

So yes i was raised in the church. I have been labeled, dated and rotated in denominational strings

i dont hold a grudge against that church or denomination i just feel sorry for them now. They are really missing the big picture and i am finally searching for the right answers.

Thanks for letting me tell you about me

NR

I say ey, I wont fall in the middle

[+] 
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:49 pm
shawn
Site Admin

i was born into a non-practicing Catholic family, from my mom's side, so i was baptized as a baby. i never went to church until a friend invited me in 3rd grade. i started going to church of my own accord from that point out, but really didn't start fully following Christ until college. it's kind of a strange story, because i thought i was good, went to church because i wanted to, but didn't really "get it" until college.

Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.

Alexander Pope's poem "Eloisa to Abelard"

[+] 
Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:45 am
leslie e

welcome to our community asiipring!

i've been a part of the church since the day i was born. unlike some, i do have some very fond memories of the church. i think being involved in the church kept me from some bad things. then again, i was a first child and too afraid to do anything against my parents wishes. so maybe i wouldn't have done that stuff anyways. who knows? after getting married, i did wrestle with some ideas i had on certain issues and why i felt the way i did. i think i have resolved most of these issues in a healthy way.
AIM Address

[+] non-denominational?
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:52 pm
astrotoby

Born and raised in curch culture. I have no idea what denomination I am however, since we seemed to always attend non-denominational churches. I'm definitely not a pentecostal though, I've figured out that much.

I too enjoyed growing up in the whole christian culture, it was a safe and loving place for me to grow up. I think I was fortunate to have unconventional and forward thinking parents who were sensitive to raise us with a view towards balance and awareness.

Not saying they weren't traditional or conservative because they were both, but I think they had the sense not to just blindly adhere to the guidelines of the church culture without knowing why. I think they used the guidelines of the bible, rather than the church, to influence their raising of us kids. Which I appreciate a great deal, especially now that I'm all grown up.

[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: Misc. :: Raised in the church? Page 1 of 1 [  ]