[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: Hard Questions :: How far does grace extend? Page 1 of 1 [  ]

View previous topic :: View next topic 
[+] How far does grace extend?
Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:42 pm
noir

What does God require of us? How far does the grace of God extend?

Since we possess the bible and should read and study it, will God judge us based on what we know from scripture? Is there more that is required of us that the bible does not speak of?

What of the woman in an isolated village in Africa that has never heard of the Gospel, or Jesus? How will she be judged, and what is required of her?

What of the educated hindu man in India, who has heard of Christianity and read about it many times, but has never met a Christian person to speak about Jesus?

What of the young Islamic teenager from Palestine, who has been taught that Christianity is a perverted religion of the west, and he has only seen examples of Christians acting in a negative way against him?

What of the young boy who, in a time of need, seeks out a priest to help him, but is sexually abused instead, and then falls from faith?

What of the many people who do not follow Jesus, but follow other religions, and keep them more faithfully than “practicing Christians”

Should I not even worry about it, and just let God judge? It just boggles my mind sometimes.

[+] 
Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:47 am
noir

my main motivation for posting this was, as the cliche goes "life is not black and white." obviously some of the examples i gave were crazy, but i think they are worth noting. i came from a background that said "if you weren't immersed in the waters of baptism then God's grace did not cover you."

i think that idea just isn't right. i think God's grace will extend way beyond that. how far, i don't know, but i think we'd be surprised.

[+] 
Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:28 am
shawn
Site Admin

noir,

There's a great book called "A New Kind of Christian" by Brian McLaren that somewhat touches on this issue. The book is written in a novel form, but is very theological in nature. One of the main characters hits on this subject, and i think i've chosen to take his approach in life. The character basically says that salvation is not our business, it's God's. The bible talks about the way to salvation, and as Christ followers, we believe it is through Christ. We live our lives as such. But, ultimately, it is not up to us to choose who receives God's grace. Our purpose is to be salt and light and show people the way. God does the saving. And He gets to choose. It takes alot of the pressure off of us.

[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: Hard Questions :: How far does grace extend? Page 1 of 1 [  ]