[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: Film and Theology :: Michael Stipe's Reaching out to the Christian Community Page 1 of 1 [  ]

View previous topic :: View next topic 
[+] Michael Stipe's Reaching out to the Christian Community
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:20 am
a linne

To reitterate something I said during the discussion, but got no real reply to but an idea that I'd really like to explore...

In the movie it seemes to me that Mary was rejected by her "Christian" friends and, rather than accepting the not-quite-so-moral, was accepted by the not-so-moral. This led to her becoming a much more likable character and growing in her faith to love others (and herself).

Stepping further away from the story in the movie and looking at the story of the movie, we see a film that challenges our subculture to grow produced by a not-quite-so-moral non-Christ follower, Michael Stipe. We see him essentially funding the movie to say, in my opinion, "Hey Christians! You messed up somewhere... you're faith is based on love but you're not showing very much of it to my community of different morals and you're not showing it to your own brothers and sisters. You went wrong somewhere - I want to believe in your thing called love but so many of you have messed up that idea and turned it into rules, regulations and judgment on people who have another point of view."

And instead of Michael Stipe using curse words or artistic manuevers or questionable sexual imagery... he used our own subculture's language and actors (Mandy Moore being an outspoken Christ-following actress).

How does this redefine the rules of "evangelism" when the culture we're seeking to "help" is telling us that we've messed up and need to start standing for what we say we believe in?

Any other thoughts? Comments? Anyone know of any interviews with Michael Stipe or Mandy Moore to get their opinions?

[+] 
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:10 pm
Sam

I hung out with Mandy and Michael instead of going to Film and Theology and they told me they both agree with a linne.

[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: Film and Theology :: Michael Stipe's Reaching out to the Christian Community Page 1 of 1 [  ]