[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: Film, Music, & Art :: what are you spinning? Page 1 of 4 [ Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next ]

View previous topic :: View next topic 
[+] what are you spinning?
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:49 pm
scribebytrade

on a lighter note, we seem to have a pretty eclectic group here as far as music tastes go, from what i can tell.

so what's in your cd player or ipod at the moment?

i've been hooked on the "maybe this christmas tree" compilations. they feature christmas songs made over by bands like copeland, eisley, the polyphonic spree, badly drawn boy, the flaming lips, etc. my personal favorite is pedro the lion's rendition is pedro the lion's "i heard the bells on christmas day." the best surprise on this year's compilation, i think, is this band called pilate. they're kind of folk-ish, and i hadn't really heard of them before.

anyways. let's hear it, everyone.
AIM Address

[+] How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:48 pm
astrotoby
Has ideas

I've been playing the new U2 record a lot lately. It's epic good.

And for some reason I've been playing the Brand New Heavies' Brother Sister album for the last couple days.

In my van happens to be Paul Burch's new album Fool For Love, 5 by Lenny Kravitz, and Still Waters by the Bee Gees.

Everything from Paul Burch to the Brand New Heavies. Now that's a pretty rediculous spectrum.

[+] 
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:46 pm
noir
Has ideas

a ton of linkin park. i was ashamed at first, but i'm hooked.

but i'm always coming back to madball. NYHC. who could do better.

[+] 
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:26 am
Scott Mc

Bob Marley - Legend
The Who - Who's Better Who's Best
Radiohead - OK Computer

[+] 
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:29 am
scribebytrade

toby - how is the new U2? i haven't been too eager to listen to it because i just haven't been able to get into U2's newer material. give me joshua tree or war...

phil - i have to give linkin park some credit for being different. that's something i've always thought was pretty cool... the fact that you can hear them on the radio and know for sure that it's them. definitely more than you can say for 90% of the music being made these days.

scott - radiohead. what more can be said? i tried to resist them for a long time because they seemed a bit overhyped... but justifiably so, as i soon found out. have you listened to muse at all?

another record that's had my attention has been the new mewithoutYou, "catch us for the foxes." talk about a band that took some getting used to. but i can't stop listening to this one. one of the really cool things about this band is that the lead singer/songwriter is autistic, so he has some beautifully poetic lyrics set to this chaotic, really messed-up music. it's grand.

so... everyone else. your turn.
AIM Address

[+] 
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:53 am
leslie e

my cd changer in the car is full of christmas music right now. shawn and i purchase christmas cds of various musical influences each year (on sale) and always regret that we didn't listen more during the season. so i'm trying to fill my car with the sounds of christmas music for the next 2-3 weeks.

then i'll go back to damien rice.
AIM Address

[+] 
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:23 am
Scott Mc

scribebytrade wrote:

have you listened to muse at all?

No I haven't. What would you recommend?

Right now, I'm listening to a lot of stuff. Just got an mp3 jukebox for anniversary gift and have been putting all of my CD's on there. Right now, it's The King, baby.

At home, it's strictly Christmas music on vinyl. Faves are (in order): Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis, and Bing Crosby.

[+] 
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:34 am
scribebytrade

leslie, i LOVE damien rice. you can't beat acoustic/folk as far as genres go.

scott, muse is incredible. they are pretty heavily influenced by radiohead, but have made that sound their own. the lead singer is an incredibly talented classical pianist, so he works that into just about every song. it's really intense, epic music. my favorite song is "butterflies & hurricanes," which i'm pretty sure you can listen to at www.muse.mu. there's such a shortage of actual musicians making music these days, which is partially why muse stands out so much. it's like a breath of fresh air.

[edit]: i have such great memories of nat king cole's christmas record. glad to know someone else appreciates it.

[+] 
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:52 am
WestWithTheNight

Well this will be hard to answer, as I really have too much music to really determine what my "Favorites" are.

I definately am a big fan of Eisley...but that's been around since 2002, so it isn't really new. But their new material is awesome.

I used to be such a huge Christian music fan, but in the past year and a half, I've definately "grown" out of that. Not to say that all CCM music sucks, but compared to all the other bands out there?

However, I still love The Elms, and really, they don't count as a CCM band. Their new cd is coming out this year, and that's something else I look forward to procuring. (Psssst they're playing at The End on January 18th!)

What else? Radiohead. Flaming Lips. Badly Drawn Boy's "About A Boy" soundtrack. (Love. It.) Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Modest Mouse. The Polyphonic Spree. The Lonely Hearts. Iron & Wine. I need Bjork's new album. Midlake. Belle & Sebastian. Recently hooked on some Junior Senior. Some Decemberists material off "Castaways and Cutouts". etc etc etc...

And I'm getting into Muse because they really freakin' do sound like Radiohead. I could swear that was Thom Yorke's voice...

[+] 
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:10 am
shawn
Site Admin

now this is a thread i can really get into.

i just bought (funny that you mentioned them) Muse's album last night, along with Autolux and Air "Talkie Walkie". i haven't listened to all of them yet, but i'm pumped.

i'm always listening to radiohead.

i've been into the new Modest Mouse for a month or so. very catchy.

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

and i borrowed Secret Machines the other day...it's pretty cool. kind of Pink Floyd meets Zepplin.

[+] 
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:57 pm
a linne

William Shatner's "Has Been" is the best new album of the year. Really.

[+] William Shatner
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:13 pm
astrotoby
Has ideas

Everybody keeps talking about that new William Shatner record. Apparently it's the best thing ever. I heard some clips online and it was pretty freaking cool. That's the next album I get.

As far as new artists, I think the Streets are cool, and Frou Frou.

[+] 
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:20 pm
scribebytrade

shawn, which muse album did you get? i'm assuming it was probably the latest, "absolution." great record... if you like that one, they put out two before that, which, in my opinion, were just as good if not better. i listened to air's "talkie walkie" and wasn't that impressed, but you can probably chalk that up to personal preference. enough people like it that you can probably disregard my opinion.

i haven't heard much about the william shatner record. but i mean... he's a canadian and he was a part of star trek. can you go wrong? haha...

i've been really impressed with frou frou... love that album. the garden state soundtrack had some great stuff on it.

speaking of music and movies, has anyone seen united states of leland? jeremy enigk of sunny day real estate scored the entire movie... it's absolutely gorgeous.

[+] 
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:24 pm
WestWithTheNight

I didn't know that, Christy... I really enjoyed that movie, and noticed the score was quite good.

William Shatner. I have a recording of him from "Ms Congeiniality" doing the "Miss United States" song.

[+] 
Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:03 pm
noir
Has ideas

WestWithTheNight wrote:
Iron & Wine

yes. iron & wine is super great.

[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: Film, Music, & Art :: what are you spinning? Page 1 of 4 [ Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next ]