[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: General Questions :: Building relationships with God and others. Page 1 of 1 [  ]

View previous topic :: View next topic 
[+] Building relationships with God and others.
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:54 pm
Gary

How do you live your life in community?

What does the journey look like?

What are your struggles to experiencing community?

How has community shaped you and your journey with God?

Here is the original mind boggling question -- What does it look like for each of us to stumble humbly forward in our pilgrimage as individuals and to do so also within community?

Last edited by Gary on Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:09 pm; edited 3 times in total

Gary
coffee drinker

[+] ?????????
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:11 am
astrotoby
Has ideas

Gary, what the heck does this question even mean?

[+] ????
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:41 am
Gary

What are your thoughts to the meaning?

Gary
coffee drinker

[+] ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:17 pm
astrotoby
Has ideas

Gary, let me answer you question with another question:

Is our mission to examine the story within the life of scripture to pursue relationships that encourage questions in conversation about how the process applies to the spiritual journey within the life of the community?

[+] Re: ?????????
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:53 pm
Indie
Has ideas

astrotoby wrote:
Gary, what the heck does this question even mean?

I was thinking the same thing. Can you rephrase your question Gary?

(By the way, that emoticon is supposed to be laughing, not constipated. We need better emoticons.)

[+] community?
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:07 pm
Gary

Here is the original mind boggling question -- What does it look like for each of us to stumble humbly forward in our pilgrimage as individuals and to do so also within community?

Last edited by Gary on Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gary
coffee drinker

[+] Now I've got it.
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:18 pm
Indie
Has ideas

Thank you. That's much clearer. I'm going to think about it an come back to post.

[+] 
Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:14 am
scribebytrade

community. that's something i didn't really understand until i got to college, mostly because before that, i was pretty much one of the most antisocial people i know. but then i figured out that mindset stemmed largely from selfishness. not to say it's always that way; some of us are pretty introverted, and that's part of life. but we have to watch ourselves. community means sharing your life. i think it's quite possible to give in every other way besides your time... and time is a precious thing. it's a sacrifice, but one that means alot to you and to those on the receiving end. as far as me personally? community is important, and i'm working on it.

the journey looks like steps... not just forward steps, but forward and backward and sideways steps. it's about learning what matters and what doesn't. it's about finding common ground despite differences, it means falling down together and getting up together, dusting each other off, realizing that this is a tough world in which we live and that we can't go it alone.

i said this in the first question, i think. most of my problems with community can be traced back to me not wanting to open up or share myself or my time. you don't typically think of the fact that sharing your struggles with other people is a gift to them, many times. most of the time, people within the community are struggling with alot of the same things, but we don't like to bring it up and deal with it. that's another problem that comes from being selfish. and i struggle with that every day.

wow... i think it's probably more the lack of community up until this point, that has shaped me and my journey. i've always been in a church, but not a church community. first, this made me bitter. second, it taught me alot about myself. that process of knowing myself took place during a time of lonelinesss, and part of that involved God showing me that my bitterness was misplaced... and yeah, pretty much selfish.

but now i'm repeating myself.

thoughts?

[+] 
Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:41 pm
noir
Has ideas

community is such a great thing, when you have a group of people you're really tight with, and can share your struggles and hopes. people who can burn on you, but keep you in check. you can laugh with them, cry with them, drink with them, whatever. they're always down with you. i had those days in high school and college. those days are gone now.

we seached a long time for a church with people we could relate to at least a little bit. most people we met were just stiffs. punching a clock, smiling, but not caring.

that's why we were glad to find mosaic. there are some cool people here.

it's still hard to really connect with people though. unfortunately most of the stuff with mosaic is designed for extroverted people (this is true of most churches). being that i'm not an extroverted person, i hate being in the big group.

i still long for community.

[+] 
Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:20 pm
yasheluah

this has been an interesting journey for me, especially within the past couple of months. i've moved twice in the past year, each time into very new situations with a new community of Christ followers. each time i've really tried to take initiative in getting to know people, and people at mosaic have been just awesome in reciprocating that with me. to me, community is something we experience when we are able to accept one another in love, reach out to the world together, rejoice together, mourn together, learn from each other, nudge each other back when we stray. i think that living life in community is something God wired us for but it often takes sacrifice (more explanation following).

i think in times past i failed to realize that life isnt all about the destination (i.e. heaven or hell). that yes, it is important-- but the eternal needs to be real in my life every day. which to me, basically means involving Jesus in every aspect of my life and not 'compartmentalizing' my life. each day is a struggle all it's own. and honestly, most of the time i'd rather just try to get along by myself and not admit my weaknesses or that i need help. but that effort to be self-sufficient is a pretty big insult to God and to my friends and family, so i've tried to open myself up more.

i think i underestimate the amount of time and effort it takes to really become part of a community. going to church and/or having a bunch of acquaintences is one thing. and truly experiencing community is quite another. it means being transparent and trusting that others will still accept me, quirks, weaknesses, and all.

in some past communities i became something i wasn't, "extroverted social butterfly" or "do everything cuz no one else will do it", or varying shades in between. i sacrificed myself to the point of burnout and depression. i think i'm learning that unselfish love and personal boundaries can, do, and must co-exist. all that to say, community has driven me into the arms of the Father many a time. sometimes i go with a grudge in my heart that i have to deal with, sometimes i go weeping, sometimes i go because i can't live otherwise. but mostly i go because He is irresistible. i also relish the times that i don't go alone, but along with other Christ followers.

to glorify God by loving Him and others is my goal (which i could never do on my own power). i want to join others who are seeking to do the same. then comes the venture to let ourselves be vulnerable and real, and that is really tough. because being vulnerable and real can include sharing your deepest, darkest secrets and sins. but it can't stop there or even begin there. for me, i think that it starts with just being truly interested in each other as people-- what our personalities, likes, dislikes, temperments are-- and trying to see each other through Jesus' eyes and not our own filters. we've got to be striving to know each other's hearts (our true selves) in order to have real community, and i think this happens mainly one-on-one over a long period of time, as we strive to know the heart of Christ.

[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: General Questions :: Building relationships with God and others. Page 1 of 1 [  ]