[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: Worship :: worship Page 1 of 1 [  ]

View previous topic :: View next topic 
[+] worship
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:51 pm
swaggart

what is worship? what is the purpose? how do we do it more than just sunday morning? anyone have any practical suggestions?

[+] 
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:17 am
Scott Mc
Likes to Talk

Swag...may I call you that?

It seems that the church as renamed their morning service or the singing part of the service as "Worship" (with a capital W).

I think worship can be defined simply by one verse of scripture. "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength."

I think I'm supposed to think about God in everything I do. -- I definitely do not do this now.

This doesn't seem very 'practical'... <thinking...>

[+] 
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:14 pm
yasheluah
Has ideas

i agree with scott, about loving God and others being the root of worship. and also that for some, worship has sadly become just another word for singing songs in church. i personally love to sing. i really feel that singing is one of the major ways that i worship God.

i think the purpose of worship is to glorify God. (yeah duh) and i think that what brings the most glory to God is when we are completely satisfied in Him and enjoy Him.

there are a few different words used in the new testament for 'worship' (i'll stick to the new testament because i took greek in college and i don't know much about hebrew; maybe someone else can shed some light on the old testament hebrew words for worship?). one is proskuneo, and it is the most widely used. it comes from 2 words and together it basically means "to kiss towards".

so the way i take that is, closeness and intimacy with God. the greek words for 'worship' also imply a deep sense of awe, wonder, and reverence. to my understanding, before Christ's sacrifice made it possible for us to "boldly approach" the throne of God, such worship took place only within the sanctity of the temple. but since we now have permission in Christ to come to God whenever, wherever, i think that any and everything we do should reflect our love for God.

and i don't do that... but since God is seeking those who "worship in spirit and in truth"... maybe it is worshipful to be honest about it? i dunno.

a few things i've found to be personally worshipful:

--praying (with a lot of listening)
--reading the Bible and making what i read a prayer to God (the psalms are especially good for this)
--listening to music that shows me something about the nature of God
--singing
--reading books that are spiritually stimulating
--talking with my fellow Christ-followers about Him
--finding a random way to encourage someone
--sacrificing myself to help someone
--eating really good ice cream (daiquiri ice from baskin robbins!)
--playing with kids
--dancing
--writing in my journal, writing a Bible study
--(when i was in college) writing papers
--sharing my struggles with someone who is going through the same thing
--going through something really tough and clinging to God through it
--traveling overseas to encourage Christ-followers in other countries
--being outside when it's warm

and probably lots more. anyway.

i'm glad we finally posted in the worship section! Very Happy

[+] 
Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:05 pm
frank1955

This forum is really refreshing. I grew up in a small country church. It was pretty much a formality every Sunday. It's nice to be able to "worship" online with everyone here on this forum. It would be neat to upload some sermons or church songs onto the website for more people to here the Gospel message.

[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: Worship :: worship Page 1 of 1 [  ]