[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: Film, Music, & Art :: Books? Page 3 of 3 [ Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ]

View previous topic :: View next topic 
[+] 
Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:01 pm
Scott Mc
Likes to Talk

I am finishing Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea.

Wow.

I don't know how I've never read it before.

Published goodness.

[+] 
Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:54 pm
yasheluah
Has ideas

i read Old Man and the Sea my freshman year of high school (i was 13) and i hated it... but i don't really remember why. maybe i didn't get it.

currently reading:
A New Kind of Christian
by brian mclaren

me gusta mucho.

[+] 
Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:08 pm
Scott Mc
Likes to Talk

I really loved Old Man and the Sea. I also just finished All Quiet on the Western Front.

I highly recommend the second as a study on the socio-psychological issues of war. This book gives you a new perspective of "the enemy" as it is from the perspective of a WWI German soldier. You realize that he is not the devil, nor is his enemy the devil.

It describes the true horror of war and illustrates how unnatural and disturbing it is to the human condition.

[+] 
Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:59 am
yasheluah
Has ideas

i saw the old black and white (i think it was black and white) movie of "All Quiet" when i was in high school. i remember it being really intense. i liked it because of the reason you stated-- it was good to see war through "the other side's" eyes. that we all are human, we all love someone, we all have someone who loves us. that there are things that we all hold in common regardless of what "side" we are fighting on.

ah yes-- and the butterfly at the very end. that made me cry.

[+] Hemingway
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:35 pm
astrotoby
Likes to Talk

I don't think I'm too much of a Hemingway fan for some reason. Old Man and the Sea was kind of cool. Actually pretty good.

I'm reading For Whom the Bell Tolls right now, and I can't really get into it. It's good though. Movable Feast is supposed to be really cool.

[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: Film, Music, & Art :: Books? Page 3 of 3 [ Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ]