[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: Church Questions :: Demographics? Page 1 of 1 [  ]

View previous topic :: View next topic 
[+] Demographics?
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:20 am
thefines

What are the demographics, racially and economically, of Mosaic?

Just curious...

Do you know of any churches in Nashville that are racially diverse?

[+] 
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:12 am
leslie e
Has ideas

i emailed you about this one. i felt a personal response was better for this one. and the fact that it was a little lengthy. sorry about that!
AIM Address

[+] demographics
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:07 pm
westberry05

thefines...thanks for the questions....i'll take a stab at it
from what i can see....

mostly a white, middle to upper-middle class makeup
i say mostly white, because...
well honestly there is only one african american...one of the worship leaders...who attends regularly

a ton of college students (belmont..mostly)...they bring a lot of various views and talents
then mostly working people.....mid 20's to late 30's

few children...something like 8...maybe 10
i think all total, the numbers are in the 80's for "membership"....though we don't have membership yet... i may be off on the number...sorry

i know that you've been emailed,
but i thought i would tell you how some view it

as far as racially diverse,
i think Mosaic desires to be a place where a variety of people can exist, but at the moment....it isn't...as far as i can see racially diverse....
of course, i'm not pointing fingers...but a facts a fact
we've got alot of good folks hangin'out ...just all the same color

other racially diverse churhces?.....don't know.... only lived here for 9 months
but i can say
there is a strong need for a more diverse stream of music/culture in all churches...gospel, latin,. hip-hop, even jazz has a place....not alot of churhces stretching out on this one
so good luck though in your search, and if you haven't checked out the deal at Mosaic, .....Sunday @10

don't mistake my post...Mosaic has got alot of stuff happening
and it's young, so things can grow
hope this helps....

[+] 
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:36 pm
Gary

Well, in reply I started to say we are not really middle to upper class ---It is not like many of us have a lot of cash.

But as I was applying my meager typing skills I sensed God's spirit ---come on Gary, if you look at it from a global perspective you all are loaded.....if your look at it from a urban nashville perspective you are loaded.

I confess my desire for more and long to grow in my desire to become.

Check out http://www.globalrichlist.com/ to see where you stand.

Last edited by Gary on Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gary
coffee drinker

[+] 
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:36 pm
leslie e
Has ideas

i think it depends on what you are calling 'middle to upper middle income'.

compared to most of the other parts of the world, i would say that most americans are doing much better on that scale. compared to some in the urban area of nashville, i would say our church could qualify for that. then again, i moved from the brentwood area to east nashville. and compared to brentwood, i am NOT in the middle to upper middle class, nor would i put anyone in our church in that bracket. i guess it's all a matter of perspective.

all that to say, i do consider my family blessed and continually ask God that i may use the things i've been giving to bless those around me. i hope that my eyes are continually opened as well to the needs around me and that my heart stays soften to others.
AIM Address

[+] Demographics
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:58 pm
westberry05

ok, let me clarify,...

i only put "middle to upper middle class" because i thought it was a fair way to describe our church members...should i have put "lower-class"?
if we don't fit in the average income situation...then where do we fit?

class ranking is not a matter of perspective as far as I understand it
(...i guess it can be when comparing it globally)
it's how much you make a year...more like fact...
Yes, Mosiac doesn't see alot of money
but that doesn't define how much the typical person at Mosaic makes...(obviously not counting the college students)
of course, how much anyone makes is not the point...i was just trying to answer the posted questions

by the way...
where you live doesn't mean much
brentwood doesn't just mean rich...you can live in brentwood and be middle class
Anyone can see from driving around East that it isn't all lower class

Gary thanks for the website

[+] 
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:12 pm
Gary

West...great job with the answer. It was what went through my mind that I thought most about. I think it was what I like to call a post-legalistic spasm.

I am with you all, I think we make quite a bit, we drive, we eat, we have homes and a solid communiity.

Everyone make sure to explore http://www.globalrichlist.com

Gary
coffee drinker

[+] Suggestions
Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:15 pm
thefines

okay, I really appreciate hearing from everyone, it's giving me some great perspective into the community and the church.

Thought I'd throw some things out there.

Do your church members have friends of different races?
Do your church members live in racially diverse areas?
Those are two pre-recs to having a racially diverse church, I think.

And maybe since your looking for a new church building you should find one in a community that is racially diverse, or different, then the majority of church members. Not so you can "do ministry" but so that you can be a neighbor. And make sure those in the neighborhood are the ones in the leadership.

just some suggestions.

peace.

[+] 
Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:46 pm
Gary

good insight---- good thoughts --- I agree it is almost impossible to be racial diverse if my life does not cross racial lines.

Yes, we live and do life in a very racially diverse neighborhoods...and yes our location quest is also in a diverse area.. and yes we some are growing in our relationships with a diverse people group.

I believe this is a part of our growth and our journey for mosaic, nashville, and the church. Nashville is not as diverse as California but my hopes are that we would contine to move across all established lines.

Hey everyone, What would you all think would be areas of growth for your lives in these areas?

Gary
coffee drinker

[+] Re: Suggestions
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:13 pm
Scott Mc
Likes to Talk

thefines wrote:

Do your church members have friends of different races?
Do your church members live in racially diverse areas?
Those are two pre-recs to having a racially diverse church, I think.

And maybe since your looking for a new church building you should find one in a community that is racially diverse, or different, then the majority of church members. Not so you can "do ministry" but so that you can be a neighbor. And make sure those in the neighborhood are the ones in the leadership.

just some suggestions.

peace.

TFines:

I'd like to invite you (as others have, I think) to come and visit Mosaic, not because we 'want numbers,' but because I think your questions will better be answered. I have to be honest and say that racial diversity is a small part of a diverse life. A large number of us live in areas that are diverse racially, economically, politically, and socially, diverse in sexual orientation and career orientation. A friendly suggestion to you would be to be open even more to how 'diverse' diversity can be.

[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: Church Questions :: Demographics? Page 1 of 1 [  ]