[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: Film and Theology :: CRASH! I WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT! Page 1 of 1 [  ]

View previous topic :: View next topic 
[+] CRASH! I WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!
Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:06 am
AriahFine
Has ideas

So, I feel like to much that began at Film and Theology when we watched Crash was left, after the conversation and has not been addressed.
To put it quite plainly, that is one of the major critiques of white folk when it comes to racism: That we can have a conversation about it, then ignore it even occurs the following day.

We need to be thinking about and interacting with the race issue regularly.

What are you doing to put yourself amongst others that are of a different race and cultural background then you?
How much do you know about the experience related to race, that your close friends have had?

Why is our church called Mosaic? And yet on a physical level, it looks pretty uncolorful?

P.S. I DON'T POST ON THE FORUM TO AVOID TALKING TO PEOPLE FACE TO FACE. PLEASE BRING UP TOPICS WE TALK ABOUT ON HERE WHEN I SEE YOU IN PERSON. AND IF YOU WANT I'LL DO THE SAME.
AIM Address

[+] what?
Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:12 am
astrotoby
Likes to Talk

If more black people came would you feel better about yourself?

[+] 
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:12 am
JOSH

It's difficult, because you want to be non-exclusive, which is good. Imagine, though, how you would feel if you were to find out that you were invited to a Mosaic gathering, or any church for that matter, based on your race, rather than your need, your hurts, or your common interests. That would be devastating. I didn't make it to Film and Theology, but I have seen Crash, and while it is fillied with valid points and social commentary, we must be careful that we remember that it is Christ, not cinema, that must determine our actions. Christ calls us to make disciples of "all nations", and while we could take this and say, "See, we need to reach out to all kinds of people!". True, but we must also remember that Jesus met needs, and interacted on a personal level with people. If you can meet a need and interact with people on a personal level, then, regardless of race, invite them to come into community with you. Good questions, good concerns. We must daily strive to keep our eye on Christ. Thanks for the conversation.

(Jeremiah 29:11-14, Psalm 51)
AIM Address

[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: Film and Theology :: CRASH! I WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT! Page 1 of 1 [  ]