[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: Events/Announcements :: gift bags for the homeless Page 1 of 1 [  ]

View previous topic :: View next topic 
[+] gift bags for the homeless
Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:32 pm
blaine
Has ideas

ariah and i have been talking a bit lately about the idea of putting together supply bags for homeless folks we encounter. basically, we'd fill a bag with items that might be useful..and keep a couple on hand in our cars. i dunno..since i don't generally hand out cash, i thought it might be a good alternative to just turning folks away.

kevin barbeaux's blog lists some items to include in gift bags for people living on the streets..basically, they would contain the following items:

# clean socks
# nail clippers
# a comb
# tooth paste
# tooth brush
# deodorant
# bar of soap
# gloves (when its cold)
# disposable razor
# sanitary napkins (for women)
# small candies
# personal note or decorate the bag

i might also throw in a bottle of water, and some non-perishable snacks, like peanut butter and crackers.

i dunno..it might be a neat idea for some of us to spend a few hours putting together the bags. then everyone could have one or two to pass out. anyone want to help out? volunteer time/money??

[+] 
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:01 pm
morgan
Likes to Talk

i'm in for time, and i could probably work out getting some of the supplies. let me know what comes of it. i really like the idea, although i have found that i'm more often than not turned down when i offer to buy someone food in lieu of giving money.

[+] 
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:35 pm
JacobMakesitEasy

I'm down.

[+] 
Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:01 pm
blaine
Has ideas

i think ariah's going to look into seeing how much some of the supplies would be at CostCo...does anyone have a membership card we could borrow??

anyone have ideas about where to get some of this stuff, so we're not spending a ton of money? would hotels donate trial-size toiletries?

[+] 
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:19 pm
leslie e
Likes to Talk

I have a Costco card, but I'd have to be the one using it as they check your ID/check or credit card/ and license. Let me know how I can help. I think this is a great idea.

One day I was driving home from work and saw a man standing at a street corner asking drivers for money. I didn't have any cash on me, but I had a granola bar and an apple. I gave it to him. When I got home, I learned that my husband had given the same guy a granola bar and apple not 10 minutes before me!! I bet that man wondered what was up with granola bars & apples! Oh well...
AIM Address

[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: Events/Announcements :: gift bags for the homeless Page 1 of 1 [  ]