[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: General Messages :: Looking for moving advice Page 1 of 1 [  ]

View previous topic :: View next topic 
[+] Looking for moving advice
Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:11 pm
vjham

Greetings, my name is Vic. I currently live in Kansas, but am moving to Nashville at the end of July. My wife, Lindsey, will be attending Vanderbilt. We know little of Nashville and are craving advice on possible areas to live in Nashville. We'd love to be close to the school, but we'll be down to one (low) income. I'm not sure if there is anything afforadable in the area.

We'd appreaciate any advice you may have about transitioning to the area.

Welook forward to meeting y'all. It sounds like we're kindred spirits.

Later, vic

[+] moving advice
Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:59 am
Gary
Likes to Talk

what are you thinking about -- hopefully we can give you some answers.

Gary
coffee drinker

[+] We've got the perfect location
Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:27 am
AriahFine
Has ideas

My wife is attending Vanderbilt this year and we are living four blocks from the school.
Rent will be $650 for a 2 bedroom. They pay for water but you pay for gas and electricity. It's a nice place and premium location.

email me and I'll get you the phone number ariahfine at gmail dot com

[+] 
Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:09 pm
vjham

Thank you for replying. Right now our most pressing issue is housing. I'll be out there on June 23/24 looking for a place to rent. We plan to arrive in Nashville July 29th or so.

We'd like to live near Vanderbilt, but friends from the Nashville suburbs are scared of the area and are telling us not to live near the school. We'd love info on living in the area around Vanderbilt.

Plus we will be down to one income, so we'd like to stay in the $600.00-ish (or less) range. I know that's darn near impossible, but miracles can happen.

I spent the last 15 years working as a youth pastor/worship leader/associate pator in various churches. I exiled my self to Home Depot last year to give my soul some time to unclog/heal/renew/etc. That's why I'm looking for the low rent option.

Thank you for your help.

[+] 
Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:57 pm
blaine
Has ideas

i'm moving out of my apt at the end of the month to move into a house...my rent is $625, it's 2 bedrooms, with a garage...nice, quiet neighborhood just a few minutes from downtown, but about 15 minutes from vanderbilt.

if you're looking to save money on transportation, see if you can find something near vandy..ariah and some of our college students prbly know the market over there better than me...i don't think it's scary over there..but everyone has their own opinions..

hope to meet ya sometime soon..

[+] 
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:24 am
morgan
Likes to Talk

the vanderbilt area is probably the least scary part of nashville. the place ariah was talking about is an amazing deal. rent can get up to double that on neighboring properties, and you can rent your second bedroom out if you need help with the rent. otherwise, you'll be paying the same price or more for a one-room studio apartment in that area.

it's well, well worth living downtown, in my opinion. you will likely pay more in rent and save an equivalent amount in gas.

[+] 
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:25 pm
leslie e
Likes to Talk

We had some friends that lived in the Laurel House Apartments (i think that's the name). It's in a recently redeveloped area of town called 'The Gulch'. Lots of lofts and much more expensive condos surround it. I think you have to make below a certain amount to qualify for Laurel House. Call now though b/c it feels up FAST! Poured concrete floors, industrial ceilings. I think the rent was under $700. It's not too far from Vandy, but not within walking distance. You would have to do the car or bus thing. Good luck!

http://www.nashvilledowntown.com/live/residential.html
AIM Address

[+] 
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:08 pm
vjham

Wow - thank you everyone for your posts. I so appreciate the advice/insight. It's nice to have a few apartment names under my belt as a starting place.

Is Vanderbilt considered to be in downtown Nashville or is that a seperate near by area?
vic

[+] mosaicnashville.org Forum Index :: General Messages :: Looking for moving advice Page 1 of 1 [  ]